PDA

View Full Version : Pippi's

krayzie
10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
hey guys... whats the deal with pippies?

are we allowed to catch them as bait or maybe even catch them for a feed?

any good locations good for them? in middle harbour or northern beaches

pm me if you prefer not to post ;)

thanks!

Thunder
10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
hey guys... whats the deal with pippies?

are we allowed to catch them as bait or maybe even catch them for a feed?

any good locations good for them? in middle harbour or northern beaches

pm me if you prefer not to post ;)

thanks!

From memory, you are allowed around 50 per person for personal bait, however, you are not allowed to take them past the high tide mark (ie no keepers).

They are usually buried in the sand on beaches.

You can check the DPI website for up to date info.

Cheers
Greg

bump73
10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
You used to get them on the northern beaches at long reef but I haven't seen any for a while now i'd say they were over harvested. As for middle harbour it's actually against the law to gather bait in intertidal areas throughout all of sydney harbour so even if they were there you couldn't take them.

Ben

krayzie
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
You used to get them on the northern beaches at long reef but I haven't seen any for a while now i'd say they were over harvested. As for middle harbour it's actually against the law to gather bait in intertidal areas throughout all of sydney harbour so even if they were there you couldn't take them.

Ben

really? what so does that mean u cant get yakkas at balmoral?

Stainless1
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Go to http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/329319/Sydney-Harbour-and-Northern-Beaches-Recreational-Fishing-Guide.pdf

It is a PDF showing where you can collect Pipi's and other baits.

Cant remember the last time my pipi shuffle dance has had any results though.

AndreP
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
yeah mate, ur allowed to eat them.. At Anna bay my parents used to get sooo many! just by twisting their feet back and fourth in the water, used to get a few.. only a few years ago they stopped harvesting them there and now it's illegal to take any from the beach - you're allowed to eat them there aswell as use them as bait.. you just cant transport them out of the beach. Aswell as them stopping the harvesting, now it is almost impossible to even find 1 there!

bump73
10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
really? what so does that mean u cant get yakkas at balmoral?

Nah yakkas are okay it's only seashore animals here's a quote from DPI page...

All IPAs extend from the mean high water mark to 10 metres seaward from the mean low water mark. Collecting seashore animals is strictly prohibited in these closures. This includes crabs, snails, cunjevoi, octopus, sea urchins, anemones, pipis, cockles, mussels, oysters, and nippers (saltwater yabbies). See Protecting Seashore Animals for further information.

Link to page... http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/info/closures/ipa

Ben

iain
13-10-2011, 10:46 AM
yeah mate, ur allowed to eat them.. At Anna bay my parents used to get sooo many! just by twisting their feet back and fourth in the water, used to get a few.. only a few years ago they stopped harvesting them there and now it's illegal to take any from the beach - you're allowed to eat them there aswell as use them as bait.. you just cant transport them out of the beach. Aswell as them stopping the harvesting, now it is almost impossible to even find 1 there!

If you are going to post on our site at least try and and make a token attempt to get your facts right. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Straight from the DPI size and bag limit page:

Pipis for bait only - do not take beyond 50m of high-tide mark

Big-Banana
13-10-2011, 01:40 PM
now it is almost impossible to even find 1 there!

Wonder why?

krayzie
13-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Over harvested??? So how do the commercial guys get them.. Are they farmed?

reelaxation
14-10-2011, 01:42 AM
There used to be heaps of pippies all the way up the coast- I used to get them even around Umina Beach in summer but I havent seen any for years and years.
If you can find a beach with little people traffic you stand a chance of getting a few... but I dont like the chances of making it for a bag limit anywhere in Sydney Metro or even Central Coast areas.
... long gone are the days when you could dig up the beach with a spade and catch them by the bucket-load as we did when we were kids- we salted them and kept them in glass jars they lasted years and are a top bait for bream/whiting/jew/dart/trevs on the beaches and make awesome hand-bait for beach worms! :Worship:

Last time I caught some was down Shoalhaven before the no keeper laws came in and we got around 2doz in a couple of hours- we used half for fresh bait and ate the rest on the BBQ

Anthony
:D

Big-Banana
14-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Pippi's are one of the most under managed resources by fisheries IMO. Obviously it's always difficult to manage something which is so easily picked up, especially in major cities. But the resource could be in much better shape if it were managed correctly. No take zones, harsher penalties for breaking limits, more enforcement and education of rules (some fishos, rightly or wrongly, don't understand what an intertidal zone is) etc.

bung
14-10-2011, 09:38 AM
more enforcement is a recurring issue. hordes still go to some rockshelves and take every edible shellfish in sight.

iain
14-10-2011, 01:35 PM
more enforcement is a recurring issue. hordes still go to some rockshelves and take every edible shellfish in sight.

I think the enforcement resources are deployed elsewhere - such as picking up fisho's driving with rigged lines through MPA's. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Big-Banana
14-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I think the enforcement resources are deployed elsewhere - such as picking up fisho's driving with rigged lines through MPA's. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Different authorities monitor each set of regs :P

AndreP
14-10-2011, 04:17 PM
If you are going to post on our site at least try and and make a token attempt to get your facts right. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Straight from the DPI size and bag limit page:
In Anna Bay im pretty sure you're allowed to consume them there.. You just aren't able to take them away from the beach.

neilm
15-10-2011, 09:01 AM
In Anna Bay im pretty sure you're allowed to consume them there.. You just aren't able to take them away from the beach.

No you can't:
From Fisheries web site:
Pipis must not be collected, by any method and for any purpose, other than for use as fishing bait. Pipis collected for use as bait must not be removed from an area within 50 metres of the mean high water mark.

This closure does not apply:

1 in respect of the taking of, or removal of, pipis by a commercial fisher authorised to take them under the Fisheries Management Act 1994 (NSW); or
2 in respect of pipis taken by a commercial fisher and purchased or otherwise acquired by another person.

So in summary you can only collect them for bait. And if you collect them for bait then you cannot remove them from the beach (essentially).

This applies to the whole of NSW. I have not been able to find any exceptions.

dave2002
15-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey Ant,
Would you believe 2 of the MPA officers at Port are ex fisheries officers. In some cases they are one in the same. They fined me for both an MPA violation and refusing to provide a license. Scary part was they didn't know the difference between a whiting and a pike!

AndreP
15-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Fair enough!!

Juggs
15-10-2011, 12:47 PM
most memorable fishing momment was when Sydney had the big bushfires 23 or so years ago
we were down kiama way a few days after and all the ash had settled on the bottom of the beach and the pippis couldnt burrow back through it

it was a matter of literally scoop one up open place on hook
litterally thousands of them and some big ones that were hand sized

iain
18-10-2011, 12:42 PM
No you can't:
From Fisheries web site:
Pipis must not be collected, by any method and for any purpose, other than for use as fishing bait. Pipis collected for use as bait must not be removed from an area within 50 metres of the mean high water mark.

This closure does not apply:

1 in respect of the taking of, or removal of, pipis by a commercial fisher authorised to take them under the Fisheries Management Act 1994 (NSW); or
2 in respect of pipis taken by a commercial fisher and purchased or otherwise acquired by another person.

So in summary you can only collect them for bait. And if you collect them for bait then you cannot remove them from the beach (essentially).

This applies to the whole of NSW. I have not been able to find any exceptions.

Thanks Neil! You saved me a rant.

cajun
18-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Damn Neil, there goes my entertainment for the afternoon!

Bashir
18-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Damn Neil, there goes my entertainment for the afternoon!
Was thinking the exact same thing!

krayzie
18-10-2011, 03:12 PM
where do the commercial guys get them?

Big-Banana
18-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks Neil! You saved me a rant.

Can't you just pretend you didn't see it?

Big-Pete
18-10-2011, 05:25 PM
There was some information on pipies, stating there was a fungus/virus that they had that is why you can not eat them the comercial ones are treated with clean water, like they do for oysters then they can be sold for food.

Big-Pete

george.s
18-10-2011, 05:46 PM
where do the commercial guys get them?

mostly from Goolwa SA.

kaniSS
26-10-2011, 10:21 AM
mostly from Goolwa SA.

Good spot. I use to do the twist there when I was younger. Pippies make a great soup and they go well in Marinaras...:Worship:

neilm
26-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Was thinking the exact same thing!

Ah bugger. Sorry Guys I really crack the sh1ts when I see someone who is either lazy, stupid or both making claims that reflect badly on our sport, especially when the facts are so easy to check.

SDK
26-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Had a plate in a Sydney restaurant a few years ago, in fact was a small mountain of them.

Can't recall where they were from, but still remember crunching plenty of sand throughout the meal.

Not sure at all how these are caught/farmed etc commercially.