PDA

View Full Version : how do you handle squid??

noelsta
25-09-2007, 09:30 PM
i have caught larg squid before and they seemed a little scary , too many moving parts,
i want to catch a kingie or a jewie but to do that i would like to know how to handle a live squid???
do they bite??
do they sting??
maybe i sound a little stupid , but can someone pls shed some light on this for me pls:)

JOCOOL
25-09-2007, 09:40 PM
They don't sting, but they can inflict a very nasty bite. Just keep your hands away from it's beak. This is located in the middle amongst all the tentacles.

Do as I say...not as I do...and you should be fine.:p Use a net to land all your squid. Don't go for the big grab on the tube as it can turn nasty, and you end up with a gob full of ink and no squid to boot.
http://www.sydneyangler.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4605&d=1189324597

When you have them in the boat or tank, you can grab them around the hood with a nice firm grip. They can be slippery, but pose no threat if you keep your fingers away from their beak.

Alex
25-09-2007, 09:44 PM
They have a deadly beak so stay away from the mouth. I don't think they can really harm you though. Just hold them tightly behind the head.

iain
25-09-2007, 09:56 PM
When I land them I ease them into a bucket and let them blow their load while I point the bucket away deflecting the spray. I shake them off the jig into the bucket then tip them into the bait tank.

As Joe says, grab them by the head with the tentacles away from you and you'll be fine.

JOCOOL
25-09-2007, 09:58 PM
And whatever you do...don't point them at the captain of the boat, and start a ink fight!:naanaa: :naanaa: :naanaa:

bluecod
25-09-2007, 10:07 PM
That has to be one of the all-time classic idiot photos Joe :p

I bring them in with the rod tip out to the side and let them hang in the water about 12 feet away for a few seconds so they get rid of most of the ink while they're still in the water. If that is impractical I point them at the deckie.

I get them out of the bait tank with a small aquarium net and then grab them with a small wet cloth - not slippery when handled with the wet cloth. :Tumb up:

Yet still to work out how to safely tangle with an octopi :o

kevpun
25-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Yet still to work out how to safely tangle with an octopi :o

First, you find 8 beautiful women ...

KillerSatay
25-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Someone had to say this. I like to handle mine deep fried with a dusting of flour, with a bit of salt and pepper added. Heads are kept of Kingies:PogoStick:

KillerSatay
25-09-2007, 10:31 PM
thats for kingies, need spell check

bobjf
26-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Someone had to say this. I like to handle mine deep fried with a dusting of flour, with a bit of salt and pepper added. Heads are kept of Kingies:PogoStick:

my 1st mate says the kingies can get there own & if i you catch or i hear about you useing 1 for bait you will sleep alone
errrr she loves her calamary

noelsta
26-09-2007, 10:58 AM
They don't sting, but they can inflict a very nasty bite. Just keep your hands away from it's beak. This is located in the middle amongst all the tentacles.

Do as I say...not as I do...and you should be fine.:p Use a net to land all your squid. Don't go for the big grab on the tube as it can turn nasty, and you end up with a gob full of ink and no squid to boot.
http://www.sydneyangler.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4605&d=1189324597

When you have them in the boat or tank, you can grab them around the hood with a nice firm grip. They can be slippery, but pose no threat if you keep your fingers away from their beak.
"THANK YOU"
I DEFINITLEY DONT WANT TO MISHANDLE SQUID IF YOU END UP LOOKING LIKE THAT:idiot:

noelsta
26-09-2007, 11:01 AM
THANKS GUYS,:goodone:
IM HEADING OUT THIS FRIDAY, I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE SQUID HUNT,:cheekybugger:

Kings'n'town
26-09-2007, 11:12 AM
I think I break all the rules, wind them in and then a slow steady lift of the rod over and into the tank. I've only lost a handful with this technique and if you do it slowly and gently they hardly ever squirt their ink.

Darryl
26-09-2007, 11:17 AM
All squid are brought into the boat along the side. Thataways, if they let fly its into the water.

Except for newbies. Nothing is said and they nearly always bring them straight in. Squid lets fly, another fisho inked. I don't mind cleaning Gunboat under those circumstances, its a badge of honour, rights of passage sort of thing:cheekybugger: :cheekybugger: :) LOL.

JOCOOL
26-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Bob, my kids and wife are the same. They absolutely loose the plot when I tell them I used squid for bait.

Target
26-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm a combination of all the above - I dont like the idea of being grabbed and held be the suckers then bitten. some squid have been known to take chunks out of people, and I'm not risking it with the local calamari.

If well hooked, I let em ink to their hearts content 6ft or more from the boat, then lift them in gently, grab the jig and turn it upside down over the livie tank - they just fall off then. If they are bigger or not well hooked, I use the landing net. Problem with the landing net is however that they tend to get more tenticles caught on the jig and are then harder to unhook.

To bait them up, get a larger aquarium net, scoop then out, then put the hooks in while they are in the net - no chance of getting latched onto :goodone:

OH, and if theres a newbie on the boat, I just swing em in straight away and AIM :naanaa:

Adrian

PeterD
26-09-2007, 11:43 PM
They have a deadly beak so stay away from the mouth. I don't think they can really harm you though. Just hold them tightly behind the head.

... sounds like my mother in law ....

jkp
28-09-2007, 03:14 PM

And you wanted people to vote for you in the last state election Jo? :idiot:

huntman
02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
THANKS GUYS,:goodone:
IM HEADING OUT THIS FRIDAY, I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE SQUID HUNT,:cheekybugger:
I would like that :naanaa:

Kingyfisher
02-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Are you all crazy ? i handle all squid v v gently.If they ink i think iv'e failed.They 'jet' sure but if they 'ink' their value as king bait is halved .Put them straight in a plastic bag to keep all the ink then double bag to stop them biting a hole in the inner bag:Tumb up:

Bashir
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I use Kingfisher's technique and have hardly had an issue. They tend to ejaculate once in the livie tank, change of scenery maybe temperature freaks them out I reckon.

Kingyfisher
02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I believe that as long as the squid is fresh it makes no difference if it is alive or dead