HomeDiscussion ForumsSponsorsMerchandiseSydney Weather ChartsFishing SpotsContact

Go Back   Sydney Angler Forums > Fishing/Tackle Talk & Questions > Fishing Talk and Questions

Notices

Fishing Talk and Questions Got a query about techniques? Then ask away!

Unread 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
krayzie
Senior Fisho

Boat: No Prop-lem
Bio: i like big butts
krayzie is a jewel in the roughkrayzie is a jewel in the rough
Default Pippi's

hey guys... whats the deal with pippies?

are we allowed to catch them as bait or maybe even catch them for a feed?

any good locations good for them? in middle harbour or northern beaches

pm me if you prefer not to post

thanks!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Thunder
Better Fisho

Boat: Boatless
Bio: Too much work, not enough fishing !!!
Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
hey guys... whats the deal with pippies?

are we allowed to catch them as bait or maybe even catch them for a feed?

any good locations good for them? in middle harbour or northern beaches

pm me if you prefer not to post

thanks!
From memory, you are allowed around 50 per person for personal bait, however, you are not allowed to take them past the high tide mark (ie no keepers).

They are usually buried in the sand on beaches.

You can check the DPI website for up to date info.

Cheers
Greg
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
bump73
Better Fisho

Boat: Malibu Pro Explorer "REGICIDE"
Bio: Kingies, Kingies and more Kingies
bump73 will become famous soon enough

You used to get them on the northern beaches at long reef but I haven't seen any for a while now i'd say they were over harvested. As for middle harbour it's actually against the law to gather bait in intertidal areas throughout all of sydney harbour so even if they were there you couldn't take them.

Ben
Member #16877 of the banned from FR club
bump73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
krayzie
Senior Fisho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump73 View Post
You used to get them on the northern beaches at long reef but I haven't seen any for a while now i'd say they were over harvested. As for middle harbour it's actually against the law to gather bait in intertidal areas throughout all of sydney harbour so even if they were there you couldn't take them.

Ben
really? what so does that mean u cant get yakkas at balmoral?
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Stainless1
Fisho

Boat: Tinny & Kayak
Bio: Fish mostly Soft plastics form a Kayak and also do some rock hopping and beach fishing.
Stainless1 is on a distinguished road

Go to http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...hing-Guide.pdf

It is a PDF showing where you can collect Pipi's and other baits.

Cant remember the last time my pipi shuffle dance has had any results though.
Stainless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
AndreP
Bait-Gatherer

Boat: N/A
Bio: Love Fishing & Fifa ! :D
AndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to AndreP Send a message via MSN to AndreP Send a message via Skype™ to AndreP

yeah mate, ur allowed to eat them.. At Anna bay my parents used to get sooo many! just by twisting their feet back and fourth in the water, used to get a few.. only a few years ago they stopped harvesting them there and now it's illegal to take any from the beach - you're allowed to eat them there aswell as use them as bait.. you just cant transport them out of the beach. Aswell as them stopping the harvesting, now it is almost impossible to even find 1 there!
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
bump73
Better Fisho

Boat: Malibu Pro Explorer "REGICIDE"
Bio: Kingies, Kingies and more Kingies
bump73 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
really? what so does that mean u cant get yakkas at balmoral?
Nah yakkas are okay it's only seashore animals here's a quote from DPI page...

All IPAs extend from the mean high water mark to 10 metres seaward from the mean low water mark. Collecting seashore animals is strictly prohibited in these closures. This includes crabs, snails, cunjevoi, octopus, sea urchins, anemones, pipis, cockles, mussels, oysters, and nippers (saltwater yabbies). See Protecting Seashore Animals for further information.

Link to page... http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/info/closures/ipa

Ben
Member #16877 of the banned from FR club
bump73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
iain
Enjoys the smell of other men

Boat: The Brown Hornet
Bio: Founder of this site with Jimbo, Boppa & Joe.
iain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreP View Post
yeah mate, ur allowed to eat them.. At Anna bay my parents used to get sooo many! just by twisting their feet back and fourth in the water, used to get a few.. only a few years ago they stopped harvesting them there and now it's illegal to take any from the beach - you're allowed to eat them there aswell as use them as bait.. you just cant transport them out of the beach. Aswell as them stopping the harvesting, now it is almost impossible to even find 1 there!
If you are going to post on our site at least try and and make a token attempt to get your facts right.

Straight from the DPI size and bag limit page:

Quote:
Pipis for bait only - do not take beyond 50m of high-tide mark

A drinking club with a fishing problem

And down by Kosciusko, where the pine-clad ridges raise
Their torn and rugged battlements on high,
Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
At midnight in the cold and frosty sky,
And where around The Overflow the reed beds sweep and sway
To the breezes, and the rolling plains are wide,
The man from Snowy River is a household word today,
And the stockmen tell the story of his ride.
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Big-Banana
I like Blue Marlines

Boat: Big-Banana.
Bio: I like fishing.
Big-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
now it is almost impossible to even find 1 there!
Wonder why?

Anth

My fishing videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dimech007

https://vimeo.com/channels/452862
Big-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
krayzie
Senior Fisho

Over harvested??? So how do the commercial guys get them.. Are they farmed?
Unread 14-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
reelaxation
Land and Sand

Boat: Desperate & Boatless... lookin for a new ride :D
Bio: Too much time on my hands and nothin to show for it... Literally!
reelaxation is a splendid one to beholdreelaxation is a splendid one to beholdreelaxation is a splendid one to beholdreelaxation is a splendid one to beholdreelaxation is a splendid one to beholdreelaxation is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to reelaxation

There used to be heaps of pippies all the way up the coast- I used to get them even around Umina Beach in summer but I havent seen any for years and years.
If you can find a beach with little people traffic you stand a chance of getting a few... but I dont like the chances of making it for a bag limit anywhere in Sydney Metro or even Central Coast areas.
... long gone are the days when you could dig up the beach with a spade and catch them by the bucket-load as we did when we were kids- we salted them and kept them in glass jars they lasted years and are a top bait for bream/whiting/jew/dart/trevs on the beaches and make awesome hand-bait for beach worms!

Last time I caught some was down Shoalhaven before the no keeper laws came in and we got around 2doz in a couple of hours- we used half for fresh bait and ate the rest on the BBQ

Anthony

Lord,
suffer me to catch a fish so large that even I,
when talking of it afterwards,
may have no need to lie

Don't follow me I'm going fishing!

... Good things come to those who BAIT!

reelaxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Big-Banana
I like Blue Marlines

Big-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond reputeBig-Banana has a reputation beyond repute

Pippi's are one of the most under managed resources by fisheries IMO. Obviously it's always difficult to manage something which is so easily picked up, especially in major cities. But the resource could be in much better shape if it were managed correctly. No take zones, harsher penalties for breaking limits, more enforcement and education of rules (some fishos, rightly or wrongly, don't understand what an intertidal zone is) etc.

Anth

My fishing videos:

Unread 14-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
bung
Senior Fisho

bung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond reputebung has a reputation beyond repute

more enforcement is a recurring issue. hordes still go to some rockshelves and take every edible shellfish in sight.
bung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
iain
Enjoys the smell of other men

Boat: The Brown Hornet
Bio: Founder of this site with Jimbo, Boppa & Joe.
iain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond reputeiain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bung View Post
more enforcement is a recurring issue. hordes still go to some rockshelves and take every edible shellfish in sight.
I think the enforcement resources are deployed elsewhere - such as picking up fisho's driving with rigged lines through MPA's.

A drinking club with a fishing problem

And down by Kosciusko, where the pine-clad ridges raise
Their torn and rugged battlements on high,
Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
At midnight in the cold and frosty sky,
And where around The Overflow the reed beds sweep and sway
To the breezes, and the rolling plains are wide,
The man from Snowy River is a household word today,
And the stockmen tell the story of his ride.
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
Big-Banana
I like Blue Marlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
I think the enforcement resources are deployed elsewhere - such as picking up fisho's driving with rigged lines through MPA's.
Different authorities monitor each set of regs :P

Anth

My fishing videos:

Unread 14-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
AndreP
Bait-Gatherer

AndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud ofAndreP has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to AndreP Send a message via MSN to AndreP Send a message via Skype™ to AndreP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
If you are going to post on our site at least try and and make a token attempt to get your facts right.

Straight from the DPI size and bag limit page:
In Anna Bay im pretty sure you're allowed to consume them there.. You just aren't able to take them away from the beach.
Unread 15-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
neilm
Senior Fisho

Boat: Tinny: Bob
Bio: fishing tragic.
neilm is a name known to allneilm is a name known to allneilm is a name known to allneilm is a name known to allneilm is a name known to all

Quote:
In Anna Bay im pretty sure you're allowed to consume them there.. You just aren't able to take them away from the beach.
No you can't:
From Fisheries web site:
Pipis must not be collected, by any method and for any purpose, other than for use as fishing bait. Pipis collected for use as bait must not be removed from an area within 50 metres of the mean high water mark.

This closure does not apply:

1 in respect of the taking of, or removal of, pipis by a commercial fisher authorised to take them under the Fisheries Management Act 1994 (NSW); or
2 in respect of pipis taken by a commercial fisher and purchased or otherwise acquired by another person.

So in summary you can only collect them for bait. And if you collect them for bait then you cannot remove them from the beach (essentially).

This applies to the whole of NSW. I have not been able to find any exceptions.
neilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
dave2002
Better Fisho

Boat: Stessl "Full Scale"
Bio: I sit on rocks and watch guys catch bonito
dave2002 is a splendid one to beholddave2002 is a splendid one to beholddave2002 is a splendid one to beholddave2002 is a splendid one to beholddave2002 is a splendid one to beholddave2002 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Ant,
Would you believe 2 of the MPA officers at Port are ex fisheries officers. In some cases they are one in the same. They fined me for both an MPA violation and refusing to provide a license. Scary part was they didn't know the difference between a whiting and a pike!
dave2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
AndreP
Bait-Gatherer

Fair enough!!
Unread 15-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
Juggs
Senior Fisho

Boat: 495 stacer 70hp johnson
Bio: n/a
Juggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant futureJuggs has a brilliant future

most memorable fishing momment was when Sydney had the big bushfires 23 or so years ago
we were down kiama way a few days after and all the ash had settled on the bottom of the beach and the pippis couldnt burrow back through it

it was a matter of literally scoop one up open place on hook
litterally thousands of them and some big ones that were hand sized
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote