HomeDiscussion ForumsSponsorsMerchandiseSydney Weather ChartsFishing SpotsContact

Go Back   Sydney Angler Forums > Fishing/Tackle Talk & Questions > Boats

Notices

Boats Talk about your boats or seek advice from others with probs you may have

Unread 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

Boat: small tinny 25hp engine
Bio: fish
gazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud of
Default installing a plastic bait tank?

does anyone know of someone who can install one of these bait tanks http://www.boatgear.com.au/55_litre/...00gph_pump.htm would like it installed professionally on the floor between my back seats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 143.jpg (63.2 KB, 21 views)
gazza2007au is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
saltydog1
Senior Fisho

Boat: B.D2
Bio: fishing fanatic and now dr's ordered wishfull thinker off beer enthusiest&rum conisuer,pig hunting&a bad speller.
saltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant futuresaltydog1 has a brilliant future

talk to stompa his more than a pro his a genius done a great job on my mates boat he really is the best pimper.
saltydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
grex
Senior Fisho

Boat: Webster
Bio: Taking life easy & go fishing whenever I like.
grex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud of

Gazza You mean , like this,

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 131.jpg (51.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 133.jpg (60.7 KB, 11 views)
grex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

gazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud ofgazza2007au has much to be proud of

spoke to stompa grex yeah i like that but i want my tank on the floor so i can stick a cutting board over the top of the tank without it looking really high and shit

would u guys go for the bastic tank with 1 pump or the one with 2 pumps?
http://www.boatgear.com.au/55_litre/...00gph_pump.htm

http://www.boatgear.com.au/55_litre/...00gph_pump.htm

so many different combos to buy i donno which one would be best suited for yakkas,squid and the odd slimy would also like to keep other fish that we are keeping alive in the tank saves buying ice and carrying a esky
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
grex
Senior Fisho

grex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud ofgrex has much to be proud of

Gazza Below is a photo with the bait board fitted.

Three points to keep in mind.
1. Depending on the position of the bait board it needs to be high enough so you can open & fold back the lid of the LBT under the board.

2. Having the bait board at a comfortable height so you can reach over the LBT & preferably not need to bend over.

3. Having the tank on the floor , consider how you are going to drain the tank at the end of the day

As for the pumps , it tends to come down to preference & cost but a few comments ,
I suspect the hose they are supplying is quite rigid , OK if you have no tight bends. The flexable spiral hose from Bias is a lot easier to use.

I see the price of just the tank is $112 compared to around $300 for the kit.

Personally , I would be buying the components as required so that it fits into your situation rather than buy the kit & assume it will fit & use all the components.
I think you will find , buying as required will also be less expensive.

As for the pump 550 gph may sound good. The tank in the photo had a 500gph pump & to prevent overflow the height of the outlet & hose size is very important.
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 151.jpg (138.7 KB, 17 views)
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

im happy to pay for the kit a lot less ****ing around thats why i was looking at kits
i just went to measure the boat looks like the 55/85L tanks will be hard to plumb but the small 35L tank will fit on the little shelf between the seats i will just need to ask stompa to make up some sturdy L brackets to mount the tank
going to buy the tank if anyone else has input let me know before i purchase it
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

tank ordered will let anyone interested know the quality when it gets delivered

grex how many litres is your tank?
Unread 13-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Framedtrash
Senior Fisho

Boat: Seafarer Viking "Nugget"
Bio: forced to work
Framedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to all

I've got the 85ltr version
No issues at all with it
Unread 13-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
seafarer.5.8
Banned

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond 1/2 cab / Hardtop / 175 Evinrude / HDS-5 Gen 2 / VHF / 27mhz / EPIRB.
Bio: Retired and enjoying fishing
seafarer.5.8 is a jewel in the roughseafarer.5.8 is a jewel in the roughseafarer.5.8 is a jewel in the rough
Default Back seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2007au View Post
does anyone know of someone who can install one of these bait tanks http://www.boatgear.com.au/55_litre/...00gph_pump.htm would like it installed professionally on the floor between my back seats
If you cut the section out between the seats make sure you support the inside corner of your seats otherwise they will break.

If you are mounting it on the flat part I would also put legs under it to support the extra weight. 1 Gallon is 10lbs.

I cut mine right out so now can work fish around the motor with ease.

Otherwise it was about a 4 or 5ft reach.
Plus more fishing room.

Last edited by seafarer.5.8; 13-02-2013 at 09:40 AM..
seafarer.5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
grex
Senior Fisho

Quote:

grex how many litres is your tank?
Gazza. If your reffering to the tank in the photo , I'm not sure , it's one I installed in a friends boat but as a guess at least 55lt , perhaps a bit bigger.

Geoff
Unread 13-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

Framedtrash, what size boat do u use that tank in?

seafarer.5.8, i wont be cutting any section out of the boat i'll see what stompa recommends and depending on how much its going to cost i can knock up a couple of legs with my mig

thanks grex

im now thinking i should have gone with the largest tank than i wouldnt need a stand
Unread 13-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Framedtrash
Senior Fisho

Framedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to allFramedtrash is a name known to all

Quote:
Framedtrash, what size boat do u use that tank in?

seafarer.5.8, i wont be cutting any section out of the boat i'll see what stompa recommends and depending on how much its going to cost i can knock up a couple of legs with my mig

thanks grex

im now thinking i should have gone with the largest tank than i wouldnt need a stand
5.2mtr seafarer viking
Unread 14-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

tank was delivered today now i donno how i want it on the create seems to far forward and to high on the shelf is ok a little high but takes up less space do u guys thing C shaped legs will work if i was to sit the tank on the shelf?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 192.jpg (62.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 197.jpg (61.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 199.jpg (62.7 KB, 10 views)
Unread 14-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
grex
Senior Fisho

I think utilising the shelf is the better option . Uses less floor space & easier access around the back of the boat for fishing.

Geoff
Unread 14-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

Quote:
Originally Posted by grex View Post
I think utilising the shelf is the better option . Uses less floor space & easier access around the back of the boat for fishing.

Geoff
yeah your right geoff i'll need to wait untill next week when stompa can fit me in to see what he says i hope a stand isnt going to cost a lot of pennies i wasnt expecting to spend a lot on installing a LBT

i also thought of using the square aluminum tubing from bunnings with the plastic connections to make a small stand this stuff http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-4-x-25...item4170b56097
Unread 15-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
grex
Senior Fisho

Gazza

The material in the link is an option provided the corner clips can with stand the constant movement of the boat & the water sloshing in the tank.

Have you determined how your going to drain the tank??

To drain completly the fitting needs to go in the bottom of the tank .

If I recall correctly , the fitting that comes with the kit has a 90 degree bend & unless the tank is raised you will need to drill a hole in the fiberglass.

The problem may be the elbow not being long enough to go through the tank & the F/G.

There are solutions depending on your comments.

Geoff
Unread 15-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

Quote:
Originally Posted by grex View Post
Gazza

The material in the link is an option provided the corner clips can with stand the constant movement of the boat & the water sloshing in the tank.

Have you determined how your going to drain the tank??

To drain completly the fitting needs to go in the bottom of the tank .

If I recall correctly , the fitting that comes with the kit has a 90 degree bend & unless the tank is raised you will need to drill a hole in the fiberglass.

The problem may be the elbow not being long enough to go through the tank & the F/G.

There are solutions depending on your comments.

Geoff
geoff i think it comes with a standard plastic drain plug like those on small boats i would have to go check to make sure and i was just going to drain the tank to inside the boat and let it run out the hull drain plugs or drain it into a bucket
Unread 19-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

dropped the boat off to stompa yesterday and picked it up today very quick turn around 24 hours to do the job and its done cleanly i would have made a mess of it lol
the tank is positioned well and is rock solid stompa assures me the back of the boat will fall off before the tanks mounts give way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 227 (Medium).jpg (51.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 228 (Medium).jpg (41.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 229 (Medium).jpg (34.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 230 (Medium).jpg (49.1 KB, 19 views)
Unread 19-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Framedtrash
Senior Fisho

Looks good
But I think you might have overflow issues
You need to have the drain hole lower then that of the input
The tank would of come with instructions on where the outlets should be placed
Can be easily fixed by just putting a valve on your input so you can adjust the water flow coming in
Unread 19-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
gazza2007au
Senior Fisho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framedtrash View Post
Looks good
But I think you might have overflow issues
You need to have the drain hole lower then that of the input
The tank would of come with instructions on where the outlets should be placed
Can be easily fixed by just putting a valve on your input so you can adjust the water flow coming in
i was to lazy to install it the boat pimper done it for me, the spray head is adjustable for water flow but stompa also said if i find its pumping to much water just to install a 19mm tap i think i'll do that before i take the boat out