HomeDiscussion ForumsSponsorsMerchandiseSydney Weather ChartsFishing SpotsContact

Go Back   Sydney Angler Forums > Fishing/Tackle Talk & Questions > Fishing Talk and Questions

Notices

Fishing Talk and Questions Got a query about techniques? Then ask away!

Unread 29-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
bluecod
FISHERMAN!

Boat: Southwind UB520 + Quintrex Fishrunner + Emu Kangaroo
Bio: Old, crusty and forgetful
bluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prawn run

Not having chased the little greasybacks for some years, would I be correct in determining that Nov 5 would be as good a night as any to waste some battery acid ?

George

I say we should bring back the Clowns

At the end of the day, only you will remember you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni Mitchell
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Til it's gone
bluecod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Bashir
Senior Fisho

Bashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant futureBashir has a brilliant future

the dark of the moon and a run out tide are the best times I find. They are already running at narrabeen lakes.
Bashir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Alex
Bream Eater

Boat: Someone elses.
Bio: Keen fisherman. Currently studying marine science at UNSW.
Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of

OK, I've never prawned before but when I went out fishing with Mr. Wong (Narra) last Monday morning at Narrabeen lakes, I found a lone prawn swimming in the water. Myself and another student caught it and it was pretty clear in clolour with a few greenish-brown spotches running along it. I think it was a greasyback. Maybe Narralakes can confirm this?

Just hope this would help you to say that some sort of prawn is in Narrabeen lake.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
bluecod
FISHERMAN!

bluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond reputebluecod has a reputation beyond repute

Alex, once upon a time, believe it or not, Narra Lake was a reliable and popular prawning spot - although I haven't had that much success there, I've a couple of friends who've taken their 9 litre bucket full in one evenings session.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Tuggerah lakes system, with limited depth of water at the entrance they might just be packed into the runnout like sardines in tomato sauce.

George

Quote:
'Til it's gone
Unread 30-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
MarkD
Administrator

Boat: n/a
Bio: .
MarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant futureMarkD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecod
Alex, once upon a time, believe it or not, Narra Lake was a reliable and popular prawning spot - although I haven't had that much success there, I've a couple of friends who've taken their 9 litre bucket full in one evenings session.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Tuggerah lakes system, with limited depth of water at the entrance they might just be packed into the runnout like sardines in tomato sauce.
I think your timing is good George. I have caught them in decent numbers at long jetty and the entrance.

If you change your mind re Narrabeen give me a holler as I'd be glad to keep you company
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
bluefin
Senior Fisho

Boat: Makocraft topper tracker 375
Bio: No more lawmowing and gardening !!!!
bluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to behold

Now you have me thinking, Berowra had some good Prawns years ago on the flats above the Ferry, and in some of the bays lower down. Run out tide and no moon is the go, November is a good time to start looking, throw in a couple of crabs as well and you have a good night. November the 5th you reckon, might have to multitask the spotlight and they taste better than Rabbit!!!!!!

Howard.
Unread 30-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
bluecod
FISHERMAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin
... and they taste better than Rabbit!!!!!!
... or duck

George

Quote:
'Til it's gone
Unread 30-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
djmac
Senior Fisho

Boat: sea hunt triton 186
Bio: -
djmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to all

george i fished up the entrance way for them last run.

this is what i took just on my own standing in the one spot for a coupla hours.

Attachment 5082

bit over a kg ill be up again for the next one
djmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
bluecod
FISHERMAN!

Tasty looking suckers Col - my neighbour wants to use the boat so we go looking for them and not wait for them to come to us - it'll be different

George

Quote:
'Til it's gone
Unread 30-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
djmac
Senior Fisho

Boat: sea hunt triton 186
Bio: -
djmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to alldjmac is a name known to all

actually i was thinking how good it would have been to sit there in a boat!

i tell u what though
take a couple of rods to put a few out live
or even the fly rod and some gurglers etc
the boofing of bream eating prawns off the top was unbelieveable
it was deafening and so constant. it was driving me nuts!
djmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
bluecod
FISHERMAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac
actually i was thinking how good it would have been to sit there in a boat!

i tell u what though
take a couple of rods to put a few out live
or even the fly rod and some gurglers etc
the boofing of bream eating prawns off the top was unbelieveable
it was deafening and so constant. it was driving me nuts!
... and when you're waist deep there's always the swirl of a big fish nearby to get the hairs on your arms standing on end

a live one or two out is always the way Col - doesn't matter if its nippers or prawns

George

Quote:
'Til it's gone
Unread 31-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
Alex
Bream Eater

Boat: Someone elses.
Bio: Keen fisherman. Currently studying marine science at UNSW.
Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecod
I've always known that there was a prawn run in Narra lakes, but as to how strong, what species or how fequent it was I was unsure. The sight of that lone prawn has inspired me to do a certain kind of fishing in the lakes, but not prawning.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
bluefin
Senior Fisho

Boat: Makocraft topper tracker 375
Bio: No more lawmowing and gardening !!!!
bluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to beholdbluefin is a splendid one to behold

"... or duck "

And Joe reckons I'm a cheeky bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 31-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
bluecod
FISHERMAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecod
"... or duck "
And Joe reckons I'm a cheeky bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obviously there's a story behind the duck but we'll let Pedro tell that one, if he's not too old to remember

George

Quote:
'Til it's gone
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
Thunder
Better Fisho

Boat: Boatless
Bio: Too much work, not enough fishing !!!
Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of light

A friend of mine was telling me that they used to keep the prawns alive in a big boiler filled with salt water. They then used to tip bourbon or scotch (whatever you like to drink) in the water with them.

The prawns ingest the alcohol and spew all their crap out.

When you boil them the flavour of the grog goes through them. He reckons they are great. I will have to go prawning soon to try them.

Cheers
Greg
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Thunder
Better Fisho

Boat: Boatless
Bio: Too much work, not enough fishing !!!
Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of lightThunder is a glorious beacon of light

They opened Lake Illawarra at Windang (Wollongong) a few months ago, so it would also be worth a try.

Cheers
Greg
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote